Wednesday 6 June 2012

Different hats


I am on holiday. My daughter is getting married at the end of this week and my family and friends are be congregating in Richmond. This evening, as I write this there is a hen party in Harrogate and a stag do in Edinburgh…. I have been cooking: curry, meat loaf, apple pies and cheese cakes. It is lovely to relax doing something practical and simple.

Then I realised I hadn’t written my blog for a while and felt I should write something before I shut down my lap top and turn off my blackberry for the week. I cant believe it is 4 weeks since my last blog. Where does the time go? And I got to thinking about the different hats we all have… I have many…some professional: GP, CCG leader, out of hours doctor, appraiser.. .then lots of other ones: Mum, daughter, sister, friend…

 
For the last few weeks I have been wearing one hat more than any of the others: I have been preoccupied with the work about the Friarage. So much to do: meetings, radio interviews, TV even, press quotes, visits around the country. Sometimes it is pretty tough. We have so much to do as a new CCG. We are the only CCG in the north trying to set itself up, make important efficiency savings AND manage a major public engagement around an issue as sensitive as the paediatric and maternity services at the Friarage


We didn’t choose to do this, and we are trying to do it right. We knew it would be a challenge. Interestingly there seems to be no national guideline about how to do it right. You have to make it up as you go along. We have tried to be open and honest. We have tried to listen and to respond. We have tried to reach out to everyone and follow up every suggestion and contact. Why is it tough? Well whilst so many people have been open and interested and keen to listen and to question, others seem so quick to criticise, to question our motives, to assume we are trying to mislead, to interpret occasional mistakes ( well we all make them!) as conspiracy. That gets tough. I am open to any discussion around the issues. They are difficult, complex. There are no easy answers. They are no hidden agendas. We all have feelings though, and we ALL care deeply about all of this. I am not moaning. I have a job to do and I have to do it as best I can. And I am learning so much very quickly. We need to respect each others’ views and feelings, and remember we are all people and we all wear many hats.

So, I am ready for my holiday. Ready to focus on my family to put down my professional ‘hats’ for a little while. To have time to enjoy cooking, and having long chatty meals with my kids and friends sat round the table, and watch my daughter and her great man get married! I will enjoy being Mother of the bride this week!

And I have a great hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment